Assistant Food Service Director ~ HANDS ON CULINARY~ Boarding SchoolSmithtown, New York
SAGE Dining Services® is seeking a highly qualified Assistant Food Service Director with high end catering and large volume production experience for an independent boarding school in Smithtown, New York. This is a hands on culinary management position for a boarding school that has a busy catering calendar as well. Being a seven day operation, means that this AFSD will be acting FSD two days per week.
School? Yes, it's a school, however at SAGE it is not "cafeteria" food. Anything you know about school food, forget it. At SAGE, our chefs and culinary teams are talented individuals who know how to prepare a great meal! Menus, written by our chefs and prepared from scratch, reflect local and regional foods, flavors and culinary styles. Our culinary team's cooking methods, recipe development and expertise make every dining experience truly unique. Our catering events rival five star restaurants.
So if you absolutely have a passion for food, want to have a schedule that is more "life friendly" than that of a restaurant, contact us today. Our best managers are as skilled in front of the house presentation and showmanship as they are in the kitchen.
This is a management salaried year-round position with a salary range of $55K - 60K.
What you'll get:
- Benefits including life/health/disability/PTO/401(k)/discount buying plan
- Opportunity for growth
- Mission based company whose values you can stand behind
- Beautiful community who appreciates what you contribute
- Team who cares about food safety and about producing and serving amazing food
- Team environment where your creative culinary experience will be appreciated and utilized
What you'll do:
- Aid in general location management
- Be part of the team that produces the food
- Manage ordering and inventory
- Develop client relationships
- Hands on culinary production for menu for three meals a day, seven days per week
- Shifts vary and will include weekends and weekdays, evenings and day shifts
- Aid in the recruitment of hourly team members and the training and mentoring of the team
- Produce high quality scratch batch cooking
- Implement and maintain COVID-19 and HACCP safety standards
- Deliver fabulous catering results
- Communicate clearly, professionally and effectively
- Deliver budgeted financial results
- Create a positive team environment
What you'll need:
- Minimum 3 years of prior food service management experience, academic community experience a plus
- High volume production experience, minimum three years
- High end catering experience
- Knowledgeable in current food trends
- Community/ service minded
- Willingness to work hard and work with the team, side by side
- Energetic demeanor
- Strong work ethic and integrity
- Proficiency with computers
- Culinary degree preferred but not required
To get a glimpse of what a day at a SAGE venue looks like, check out our video: https://vimeo.com/340290507/19b1fa72cf
Working for SAGE means being part of a community. You’d work alongside creative, enthusiastic Team Members who share your passion for culinary excellence. You’d also make a difference in an academic community and bring excitement to the dining hall with made-from-scratch, Chef-inspired recipes that delight students, faculty, staff, and parents.
Positions at SAGE provide competitive wages and benefits, with hours that offer a better work-life balance than those at a restaurant. We create careers, not just jobs, with significant opportunity for growth and promotion. Team Members learn SAGE Standards and enhance their skill set through extensive training in food safety, allergen awareness, and preventing eating disorders.
SAGE has enjoyed steady, organic growth for the past 30 years. We continue to grow and raise the bar in food service for the educational market. By sourcing local ingredients, introducing communities to new cuisines, and providing attentive service, we create exceptional dining experiences that delight the senses, inspire minds, and foster community.
We’re using phone and video interviewing to make the hiring process safe and present as little risk as possible to you as an applicant. When you come for an in-person interview, you’ll see we practice physical distancing in a sanitized environment. SAGE follows healthcare best practices to keep our Team Members and visitors safe, requiring them to complete daily temperature and symptom checks, wear a mask at all times, and maintain physical distancing. Of course, this is food service, so our teams are accustomed to keeping all areas clean, but we’re sanitizing and disinfecting more frequently.
This job advertisement should not be misconstrued as an offer of employment or a comprehensive listing of position responsibilities/expectations.
Equal Opportunity Employer