Summer is here, which means outdoor parties and activities galore! While hamburgers, hot dogs and potato salad are customary cookout foods, it's possible to have a cookout with a variety of delicious and healthy foods as well.
By swapping a few items like potato chips for fresh cut vegetables and fruit salad instead of cake or pie, you can save yourself some time and your guests some unnecessary calories. Additionally, by adding some heartier items like grilled chicken breast kabobs, fish or vegetables to your menu, you can provide your guests - kids and adults alike - with filling, flavorful alternatives without the fat.
The next time you have an outdoor party, wow your guests with this light, but “meaty” burger recipe:
Grilled Portabella Mushroom Burgers
- 4 portabella mushroom caps
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 (1 ounce) slices provolone cheese (optional)
- 4 wheat buns
- Place the mushroom caps, smooth side up, in a shallow dish. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, basil, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour over the mushrooms. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes or so, turning twice.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Brush grate with oil. Place mushrooms on the grill, reserving marinade for basting. Grill for 5 to 8 minutes on each side, or until tender. Brush with marinade frequently. Top with cheese during the last 2 minutes of grilling.
- Place immediately on bun and enjoy!