Snacks are just as important as sunscreen during the summer. Kids are playing hard and not thinking about proper fuel for all their fun activities. While packaged snacks are easy to throw in your bag, they may not provide the right nutrients for lasting energy. Check out these easy, nutritious choices to keep in the car or in your beach bag:
- Whole grain crackers
- Dried fruit
- Unsweetened applesauce cups
- Trail mix – Let kids make their own! Give them a choice of whole grain cereal, nuts, dried fruit, and even throw in some dark chocolate chips for a treat.
- Sweet potato/veggie chips
- Fruit leather
- Freeze dried fruit
If you're thinking ahead and have a cooler:
- Watermelon – Frozen or fresh, it's delicious and hydrating!
- Frozen grapes
- String cheese
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Yogurt tubes – If you pack them frozen, they will thaw during the day and still be cold and refreshing.
For a homemade yummy treat, try this:
Peanut Butter Granola Balls
Yield: 24 granola balls
1/3 cup of honey
¼ cup natural peanut butter
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup whole grain crisp rice cereal
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
¼ cup raisins
¼ cup chocolate chips (optional)
1. In a small saucepan over medium-heat, combine honey, peanut butter, and butter. Stir until melted and smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cereal, oats, and dried raisins. Let the mixture cook for about two minutes and stir in the chocolate chips (if using).
2. Drop mixture by rounded tablespoon into mini paper cupcake or candy liners. Place on a rimmed baking sheet, and refrigerate until set, about 15 minutes.