Eight common foods account for nearly 90% of all food allergies in the United States. They are: eggs, fish, milk, peanuts, shellfish, soy, tree nuts and wheat.
Check out the list below to review a sampling of what foods contain these allergens. Some may surprise you.
- Eggs - Found in Baked Goods, Pasta, Mayonnaise, Cream Sauces, Marshmallows and French Toast!
- Milk - It's found in Butter, Cheese, Ice Cream, Yogurt and Sour Cream.
- Peanuts - Found in Granola, Grain Breads, Baked Goods, Candy, Cereals and Mexican and Asian cuisine.
- Tree Nuts - Common in Nutella®, Granola, Nut Butter, Trail Mix and Cereals.
- Fish - Common in Asian cuisine, Chowders and Worcestershire sauce. It's even found in some Orange Juice and Beer (ingredient: isinglass).
- Shellfish - Culprits commonly include Sushi, Gumbo and Tempura.
- Wheat - The majority of Breads, Baked Goods, Cereals, Pasta, Seitan and many Soy Sauces contain wheat.
- Soy -Found in Bacon Bits, Tofu and Vegetarian Meat Substitutes.
The only way to know for sure if something contains an allergen is to read the label. Doing so, can save a life!